3.12.2007

Wrong questions Christians ask

I have been dwelling on a couple of things that most people find no harm in, even faithful church attendees and people very involved in congregational structure. There are several of them but in order to not hit on anyone’s “hot buttons” I am not going to single out any. Rather I will leave what you can do between you and the Holy Spirit. If you are not acquainted with and in tune with the presence and leadership of the Holy Spirit, anything that I say will only be my opinion verses yours anyway.

I had one of those chance encounters today, and in just a few minutes of conversation I was impressed to not voice my opinion on some favorite targets of Christians that carry Winchester Model 70 Custom Scriptureshooters.

Partly because I was convicted that I was guilty of sighting in my own Model 70 and I really should be beating it into a plowshare. And partly because I was reminded that it really isn’t my place to put others in their place.

Gardens are grown with the use of simple plows that gently lift the soil and turn it to the light of the sun rather than stealth bombs that widely scatter much of the fertile top soil on impact and create holes in hearts and lives.

Long ago I was introduced to the phrase, “Love the sinner, but hate the sin.” To be one with Christ, I must do all I can to put sin away. 1 John 3:5 reads in the KJV “And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is NO SIN.” (My emphasis).

But what is sin to me, is not to everyone. Here is one I will point out. Alcohol consumption. I do not drink alcohol because of two terrible events in my life. That does not mean that I am opposed to a drink with dinner or socially. Wine and cheese with the right company and the right conversation, for example. In fact, if ever offered again, I can’t say what my response will be. But, in general, because of the two situations from my childhood, I choose to abstain. Is it sin to me? I think it would depend on the situation.

If you wonder what God will tolerate, try reading through the Old Testament books of I Chronicles and Psalms. If we believe what we claim about an unchanging God, David sure pushed the envelope to the break point. I only have ONE wife and NO concubines. Currently.

This chance encounter today made me long for some real theological dialog again. I plan to try to pick that back up with this person very soon. I have missed it keenly.

So what are the wrong questions Christians ask? I believe it is always a sign of shallow living when a Christian will begin a question with “Do you believe a Christian can …” if there is doubt in YOUR mind, then I would say YOU can’t do it, and keep a peaceful relationship with God. Every time you want to pray or worship or commune with God you will have this “thing” in front of you. That has been my experience and the experience of many others that I have had this dialog with. In order to keep the communication channel completely open and unfettered it is my opinion that we must live as far FROM the appearance of sin as possible.

I invite your comments. I gain much from those who thoughtfully discuss their experience in living their Christian faith.

Email me at bwcatlett@comcast.net, call me at 540 836 9480, or mail me at 30 Eastover Blvd, Mount Sidney, VA 24467.

Blessings.

No comments: