Todd took me over to Walnut Creek Park south of Charlottesville just off Route 29. We rode one of the less strenuous and technical difficult trails. It was my first ride on an honest to goodness mountain trail. It might very well have been my last. I haven't decided yet. I didn't get hurt. Pretty amazing. I did take a number of spills but only one hard fall. I launched myself off the bike sideways down a steep incline a couple of times. It might not be common knowledge to you but I proved today that you can only go so slow on a bike before balance is totally lost. At that point it is best to exit the bike or seek outside stability. Since my feet barely reach the ground on nice flat pavement, finding stable footing on the downhill side of a steep incline is only wishful thinking.
There were plenty of oh-my-gosh moments as we hurtled downhill among the very large roots, rocks and leaves in the very narrow trail with every size fallen branch across the trail and standing limb severing trees on each side of the trail within inches of the ends of the handle bars.
Many of the branches and rocks were not secured to anything and the leaves were just lightly resting on the trail so any or all of those objects could roll with you in any direction or simply slide along with you as you applied the back brakes with vengeance.
Braking evidently is an acquired skill as you don't want to apply too much braking to slow beyond balance speed, but if you don't apply enough brake you will not negotiate the next very narrow very sharp hairpin either to the left or the right. Throw in a few good size logs for entertainment because the other obstacles are just too boring and you have the makings of disaster if things like compound fractures and concussions are things you like to avoid.
All in all, I had a blast. But the thoughts of being laid up with pins in shattered bones kept me from laughing hilariously. It was a splendid day in a wonderful part of the woods. If I was decades younger I think I could take the sport on with vivaciousness. But at my age and fragility I may stick to paved or at least semi paved roads. Yes, motor vehicles are a consideration, but there can only be so many motor vehicles. I may have seen upwards of a trillion skull crushing tree trunks go by my head in less than 90 minutes today.
But it sure was fun.




No comments:
Post a Comment