12.30.2011

So many books, so little time

My mind is racing in several directions this early morning. First, let me tell about Christmas. This family has never been huge spenders at Christmas or birthdays. Georgiann and I have always done well and always been able to have reasonably nice things, but part of that has been because we are not big spenders. We probably would embarrass others if they knew how little we spend on special occasions. But we always have nice things to give and we receive nice things. This year I was very surprised at what I got. So far. We haven’t finished with the family yet.

This year I received all very nice things, but want to mention two here. Georgiann bought me a very nice tool that I have had my eye on for 18 months or more since they begin to be a hit at Lowe’s where I was the Tool department manager. It is a SoniCrafter made by Rockwell. There are similar tools on the market that are lighter and less rugged, but Georgiann bought me what I think is the best and toughest of them all. I believe it will last my lifetime and probably someone else’s as well. A beautiful tool.

One thing I have always encouraged those who want to know what I like to have is books. I have some very definite likes in books, and Georgiann knew exactly what would fit. She bought me a book containing three of Tom Clancy’s biggest hits. Three as it happens I don’t have. Perfect.

My daughter bought me a Nook. Now if you don’t know about Nooks or the other eReaders on the market I would encourage you to get acquainted. I was not interested in even finding out about the eReader devices until I received mine. Now I am a HUGE fan. I am so enamored with my Nook. I am a lover of classic literature and pretty much all classic literature is long past copyright and some past publication, but available for free or nearly free for the Nook and other eReaders. On my Nook was a copy of Dracula. I had never been inclined or interested in reading this classic, but now that I have, I highly recommend it regardless of your particular reading interests. Great book.

A sly way to slide into what I really want to write about this morning. I discovered a pastor in California recently and began a running dialog with him. I discovered a series of messages recorded at his church, Crosswalk Community Church in Napa, California. Pastor, Dr. Pete Shaw, is a very creative and insightful minister and speaker. I found a kindred spirit in listening to some of his sermons. In something he wrote to me he mentioned a book by an English woman Christian world leader named Karen Armstrong. The book is titled “The Case for God.”

I purchased the book and have begun reading the 332 page missive. I have to have my browser set for a good pronunciation dictionary so I can make sure I know what she is saying. I thought I had a good grasp of language but am finding I am way outclassed by this writer. She explores what God has meant to man across time.

Beginning with the paintings in the caves of Lascaux in France dating back some 17,300 or 17,400 years ago and what the paintings mean about mans reflections on spiritual beings and coming forward she shows that the Bible is a relatively recent look at spirituality and worship. One sentence that I grabbed and had to study for a while, and will continue to digest for a long time is this: “Religious discourse was not intended to be understood literally because it was only possible to speak about a reality that transcended language in symbolic terms.”

If I am still blogging years from now I may have a sensible response to that statement. Right now I am blown away at the similarity of what I had come to believe in my own research, but still amazed at what it entails.

Without reading the book at least as far as I have you won’t understand that statement. It has to do with humans who are finite in every way putting into descriptive terms an entity who can’t be described in human descriptive terms. We can’t even speak of God because God is so far beyond our understanding and comprehension we have no language or objects to encompass God. One way we know this as fact is the inadequate way in which nearly everyone refers to God as he, and the few who refer to God as she. And I must say I understand my dear friend in South America’s use of the gender, because I know she agrees with me, at least somewhat.

He, her, and what does that mean? God can’t have gender. Gender is an earthy or earthly thing. We don’t even know if it applies to other worlds, how then could it apply to God? We don’t even know what God is or isn’t. Some ancient cultures would not even use speak able names for God. To say God was not possible.

In getting back to the line I quoted from Ms Armstrong’s book I once again am forced into a short stint on my soapbox, as my daughter is so wont to say, and proclaim that to teach Bible stories as literal, such as 2 of every kind of animal on a boat, is lying. And at a point in every one of those little lives will come a time when they will face a decision as to how much of what they have been told is lies as well.

I am filling my head with as much as I can, as fast as I can, fully expecting to die of a cerebral explosion. Hope so anyway. Cheers

No comments: