12.12.2011

My mind is evolving. Why isn't yours?

I have not blogged in a very long time. A long time being totally relative of course. I just looked and March 28, 2011 was my last blog. That was just over 8 months ago, but in dog years that’s 4.5 years. I know dog years of 7 to 1 human years is old school and has many variables. But in technology 8 months is eons. More advancement has been made in the last 8 months in technology than in the first couple or three millions of years of man’s existence.

Just after that blog I parted ways with Lowe’s. I really didn’t want to part on the terms I did, and I didn’t have the courage to leave on my own and try to find a job in technology after letting many years pass without keeping up at all. But it was just the kick in the rear I needed.

I was without a job for 5 months and was beginning to believe I might not find a job in technology again. But a company took a chance on me and I went back to full time work on September 26. I am doing telephone tech support for a phone, Internet and CATV provider. The company provides cell coverage as well but my group doesn’t do any support of cell phones.

During my time off I studied for and obtained my A+ certification and retested for my Amateur Radio Tech license. I immediately sat for the next level, General and got that back. I submitted a request for my old call sign of N4RVG and got it back.

In the time since my last blog I have morphed a lot in my thinking and in my position on a number of theological issues and concepts. While I was off the work on our kitchen pretty much came to a standstill. I spent most of my days doing 3 things. I slept a lot. I looked for work a LOT. And I read a lot.

I discovered and did a pretty thorough investigation of the Preterist group of Christians. I was surprised at first there are many variations of Preterists. It makes perfect sense when one thinks of all of the different groups that claim to be in any other religion. How many flavors of Baptists and Methodists and Catholics do we have after all. And just in the last few days I have come to know that even Islam has a variety of different groups who hold to different issues while rejecting others.

I spent considerable time at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC in the latest exhibit named The David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins. My first visit I walked the exhibit very slowly trying to absorb as much as I could, twice. In later trips I watched others as they walked the exhibit. As I watched, I wondered how many of the visitors from literally all parts of the earth really understood the colossal research and discoveries that were being given exposure in that exhibit. As I watched, and listened, I knew there were people who understood some of the amazing information that had been pried out of the earth in the tens of thousands bits of bone, stone and fossils. I sat down a couple of times to gather my thoughts and analyze some of the information that was even then filling in gaps and holes in my understanding of our world and the creatures that have and do inhabit it.

Since that first visit and the opening lecture I attended I have continued to read and research topics of interest of mine within that genre of science. There is such a vast array of elements to the study of the earth and the evolutionary process I think it has grown much too broad for anyone to fully keep themselves appraised of all the research and enlightenment going on under so many different aspects. With the human genome being unraveled and sequenced an entirely new way to look at evolution is now at our fingertips. Many publications have already been printed and distributed that proves the genetic processes that brought about what we see around us in living things must have had billions of years to develop. New discoveries. new abilities, tools and processes have come into the research arena in such large numbers and so quickly demonstrating the validity of a very old earth and an evolutionary process that the old ideas are no longer supportable.

So if you ask me my opinion or position on many things I once believed please understand when I sidestep the question or gently change the subject. I have come to the realization that I am no longer interested in debating or discussing a young earth and or the typical Christian’s understanding of the Biblical account of Creation.

I know this position will be unpopular to many of my friends and family and those with whom I worship. But if you find something that supersedes something you once held you are dishonest if you reject that which supersedes.

I have many things I need to blog about for my own purpose of putting things into a form that allows me to critique it outside of my own brain space. And it is made public for others to comment. But know, I won’t discuss or respond to anything that hasn’t been well researched and backed by solid scientific possessive thinking.

Bruce 12/12/11 0039.

No comments: