4.27.2009

Ocracoke

Ocracoke Lighthouse is the shortest of the Atlantic coast lighthouses at 75 feet and the second oldest in North Carolina dating to 1823. It is a picturesque lighthouse, with a very nice keeper's house, nice grounds and surrounding picket fence. It does not have a revolving light, but has a stationary light instead. The light house is situated on relative high ground on the island and provides a refuge to rising water during hurricanes.


The trip is on relative high ground spiritually for me each year I am able to attend. I thought this was my 5th year, but I can only account for 4 using my inventory of pictures; 2004, 2006, 2008 & 2009. This was the 15th year for the retreat. I believe three of the men have been at all 15, and a few others can claim 14. It is the 4th time of the 7 years I have attended church at Harrisonburg First Nazarene for me. I plan to be at the rest, for as long as the trip is made.

I took more pictures this time, but not of the beach or ocean like one would expect. And I really don't know why. In a small way I know why, but it is not worth explaining. Just suffice it to say I concentrated on micro photography. Like this picture:










And this duck and chicks caught my eye and I took a number of closeups of them:









The one day I was on the beach I walked along the water line in the surf at about ankle depth looking into the water for complete shells. These are the ones I picked up. I never get tired of collecting shells when on the edge of the ocean. They fascinate me. This one is worth double clicking and enlarging.




















My favorite one.







The retreat rested my body and refreshed my spirit. The company I was with going down, during and coming back was fun and we had a good time together. A great getaway.

No comments: