I tried to miter the corners of my crown molding, but just couldn't get them to meet perfectly. So I decided to make my own corner pieces. I actually priced them but decided $8 a corner was too much. Besides, I wanted to create something unique to me. I started by gluing up some 2X stock, cutting it to size and sanding it.
After the sanding was done, I put a curve on one edge of the block, then sanded down to the line and tapered the curve.
I marked the center of the block and drilled a hole to take the screw of a spindle I found in the millwork section of the store. I'm not sure if they are spindles or very short legs for something.
I drove a finish nail in the end of the spindle and cut it to about 1 inch.
I painted it to match the wallpaper and trim and glued them in place. This is a shot of the finished trim in one corner.
This is the trim for the beadboard. I glued up three pieces of trim, a piece of casing, a piece of cove, a piece of screen bead, and a piece of scrap in the back that matches the beadboard in thickness. That piece of scrap sits on the top of the beadboard and the casing sits in front of the beadboard. The center of the screen bead is painted with the same paint as the wallpaper and crown molding. The room is looking really great.
Georgiann got back this afternoon from her parents in Stanton, Kentucky. She went down for Mother's Day and spent a few more days with them. Her mom is 82 and her dad 83. Both are still living in their own home but need a reasonable amount of looking after. Phyllis and Bill along with Greg and Mary keep a close eye on things and help with meals. It was Georgiann's first trip of significance alone. It's about 7 hours each way.
Not too much else happening here. I haven't made the transition to electrical yet, and it looks like it will be a week or so. I am more than ready.
More later.




2 comments:
Thanks for the instruction manual on making corner pieces! Did you lose anymore finger? Seriously--it's looking really great. Very detailed and skilled.
This room is turning out so gorgeous...your creativity and perfection in woodworking is coming through strong. Love you!
Post a Comment