10.12.2008

Fall colors muted

Todd and I went for a 10 mile ride this afternoon. The fall colors here in the central Shenandoah Valley look like they are going to be somewhat muted this year. I don't know if that is a result of little rainfall during the last few weeks of summer or what. I would have liked a camera along today, but mine is just not suited for bike riding. Way too big and heavy. It would bust a hole in my chest if I put the strap around my neck. I probably ought to sell it and the rest of my camera gear and buy a new smaller one. If you know anyone interested in a very little used Nikon D70 with two lenses and a very well used Nikon FTn with several lenses give them my email address.

I did pretty well on the ride considering it was my first foray on the bike in at least 6 months. I was nursing a very tender torn meniscus in my left knee and was afraid riding would aggravate it. I may have been wrong. Today's ride caused me no discomfort except in the bum area. The little seats on road and crossover bikes are not made for old guys like me. My thighs burned a good bit on some of the up hill sections. Unfortunately up hill sections are a major part of any ride in this area.

Yesterday I drove through a neighborhood just west of Route 42 in Bridgewater and fell in love with it. The homes all look to be 1950's to 1970's architecture, and the streets are Kansas flat and very open. No hidden intersections or blind spots. Wonderful place to bike ride or walk the dog and/or your main squeeze.

Saturday evening I created a spreadsheet that will have color filler in time squares indicating who in my department is working each day and what hours. Different colors for different people, of course. I transferred it to my Dell PDA so I can carry it at work. It looks like it will be a useful tool. The PDA is not the smallest thing I have in my pockets, however, so I may resort to printing the schedule 3 weeks at a time and carrying it in my pocket folded up.

I have needed a tool for knowing who works when so I can keep on top of creating work lists and so I know who opens, etc. Some people are better openers and some are better closers. I hate getting up early, but I love leaving work at 2pm when I do open.

I got to hold precious Abigail for a few minutes today and she smiled at me. She is so beautiful. Madison and Amari are beautiful as well. But you know how granddads are. Totally unbiased. G and I have been blessed with great children, the sweetest daughters-in-law imaginable, and three beautiful granddaughters. On Friday one of my former store associates came by with his boy who is exactly the same age as Madison. He is almost certainly the most beautiful little boy I have ever seen. His daddy broke my heart when he said he and his wife had divorced.

Our very precious friend Barb is supposed to be with us this Wednesday for an overnight stay. We are looking forward to seeing her again. I can't remember when we last saw her in person. I know Todd and I saw her in Peru in August 1999. Way too long, I know that.

Lately I have spent all of my time working, sleeping or reading / researching. I need to work on some projects around the house and do more with the family. I have been so caught up in this reading and discovering I can hardly think about much else. I have two smaller projects going at the moment. I am adding electrical outlets around my workbench which should have only taken a couple of hours, but I am missing one EMT fitting. I'll try to get it tomorrow. The other project is a railing on the front porch. I have it all built, but am not as happy with it as I would like to be. I may pull it apart and reassemble it at least.

Later. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: